Wednesday, March 17, 2010

THE HERBALIST STONEWARE CLAY PLANTER

THE HERBALIST

First planter of the season completed

HAPPY ST. PATRICK’S DAY EVERYONE!

My green offering for today is my planter titled “The Herbalist.” She looks very similar to the one on my banner but she is an entirely different planter. The planters vary. Sometimes I add eleborate embellishments to them and other times, I place clay leaves around the face. Every winter I work on sculpting as many as I possibly can in order to get ready for spring and summer sales at the Farmers Market, here in Roanoke.

I’ve done several posts on my stoneware clay planters. I love it when I open my kiln and see that they have fired properly with no cracks, or explosions. Drying clay is difficult in the winter. No matter how long the planters sit in the studio drying, if moisture seeps back into them before they reach the kiln, anything goes. I usually dry them for several weeks and then set my heater on low and run it overnight in the studio. I place them in the kiln with the lid open for several hours on low just to warm them thoroughly and then I run it as usual for the next 10-12 hours. Since my customers often times keep the planters outside, I have to make sure they are fired properly.

I always name my pieces or give them a story. My first planter of the year is often called “The Herbalist.” This seems appropriate to me since I do love herbs.


THE HERBALIST

She is a teacher, healer, wise woman and keeper of the old traditions. Each day, with great reverence, she gathers the herbs for the needs of her many friends. Basil for love and good wishes, sage for wisdom and long life, rosemary for remembrance, lavender for devotion.

Her garden is a special place. A place where birds and butterflys abound and where laughter and solitude each have their place and where, some say, the secret to the universe can be found…



~Cheryl Dolby~

Stumble Upon Toolbar

13 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful, I just love ALL your work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love her! I think you need t o conjure up a Gypsy next! You are lucky to get to travel abroad. I know what you mean about feeling like you belong to places. I can't wait to find a van !

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is beautiful!!! Outstanding.

    Nicole/Beadwright

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely as always, Cheryl! She reminds me of one of the "wise women" of old. It's really interesting to read about how you produce your pieces and all the work which goes into them too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so incredibly talented and it is obvious that you put a lot of love, and a bit of yourself, into each piece you create; beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. She is beautiful, especially with her herbs. I miss firing stoneware. I'm a little bit lost lately...don't know where to go artistically. I love that you seem to have a vision and you follow it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy St. PAt's Day! She is so beautiful, love your dolls.
    Debby

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy St. Patrick's day ( belated). This planter is phenomenal!

    I have an award for you here
    http://mamafey.blogspot.com/2010/03/my-first-blog-award-woowhooo.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. This planter is wonderful. Love herbs and I may just have to get this. Hummmmm.......

    ReplyDelete
  10. She's beautiful! I particularly like the clay leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love you!!! Where can your work be purchased. xo laura

    ReplyDelete
  12. Once again Cheryl, a beautiful story to go with a beautiful piece. I have never done anything with kiln fired clay, however my sis in Vancouver does (mainly raku) and it sounds very, very tricky.

    A belated St. Pat's day to you!

    Sue:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful! I have great appreciation for your beautiful pottery. Hope you have a wonderful weekend, Cheryl! Hugs, Terri xoxo

    ReplyDelete

If convenient, please leave a comment. I read every one and thoroughly enjoy hearing your thoughts.