Friday, August 9, 2013

Hopi Native American Sculpture

HOPI INDIAN WOMAN

NAMPEYO

Front View

Years ago I studied with the Hopi’s at the Isomata School of the Arts in Idlewild California. The Nampeyo family, my teachers, came from the first mesa in Pollaca Arizona. I was actually studying the art of polychrome pottery, their trademark, but also learned much about the philosophies of “the people.”

Side View

We gathered our pigments and made our brushes out of the tips of a yucca plant. We created our sculptures and then built our kilns out of sheep dung, which we chopped into bricketts. While the kiln was firing our pieces, we listened to stories told by the elders. When I asked why we were using sheep dung when it had to be brought in, instead of horse dung that was readily available on their mesa, I was answered with one word; one important word. ”Tradition.” The pottery is made in the same method, using the same materials that has been passed down from generation to generation. It is important to the Hopi’s to pass on their methods and beliefs.

Angled View

In a tribute to my teacher, Bonnie Nampeyo, I wrote a story which is included in my book “She Who Whispers.” I also name most of the pieces that I create that include a Native American woman with pottery, Nampeyo, although I usually use a black finish which is more indicative of the Acoma tribe.

Another Angle

Nampeyo is 10" H by 7"w and 7"xD. She is sculpted from stoneware clay which has been kiln fired, ( in my electric kiln, not the sheep dung.) I have priced her at $200. You can see more views of her at my Etsy shop or purchase from me directly by e-mail.

Back View

Stumble Upon Toolbar

5 comments:

  1. She is just beautiful Cheryl and what a wonderful story. I really appreciate your feelings. Awesome work as always.:)gloria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Outstanding! What a wonderful experience with the Hopi. I was in Idlewild, Calif. many times. Last time was a few years ago. Very artsy place. Loved it. I love your stories and still love rereading your books over and over. Never tire of looking at them or reading them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheryl, I think she is my favorite...Love her!! Great job capturing the essence of the Hopi Woman

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is absolutely lovely. I also enjoyed your post very much.
    Nicole/Beadwright

    ReplyDelete
  5. NAMPEYO is fabulous Cheryl!
    Her collarbone alone is enough to make me sigh.
    I cannot believe all of the art I have missed.
    ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete

If convenient, please leave a comment. I read every one and thoroughly enjoy hearing your thoughts.