Wednesday, March 26, 2014

GODDESS TEA VESSEL AND 3-SEED BISCUITS

TEA AND 3-SEED BISCUITS

“She Who Knows Her Own Sacred Sound” Tea Vessel and 3-Seed Biscuit

Sold. Thank you Beth!

While browsing through my recipes, I came across one that I had completely forgotten about. There it sat in an old recipe file that I had relegated to the back of my pantry. Since I'm completely addicted to creating my new tea vessels, I thought it might be a good idea to test the biscuits and then do a posting of them to go along with a luxurious cup of tea.

Close up of Lid. I've been told the lid is an antique spigot for a beer barrel. Perhaps I should have made a beer biscuit.

It's interesting that my father painted the tea pot on the board in background many years ago. I never suspected way back then that I would be making tea vessels similar to the one in painting.

Close-Up of tea biscuit

Here is the recipe:

THREE SEED BISCUITS

3.C. flour
½ C. sugar
1 ½ t. baking powder
¾ t. baking soda
1 ½ C sour cream
1 egg (beaten)
1 t. salt
2 T. poppy seed
1 egg white
2 T. caraway seed
2 t. anise seed
1 egg white

Method: Preheat oven to 450. Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Stir in 1 t. each of caraway, poppy, anise seeds. Blend in sour cream and 1 egg. Knead mixture til smooth and elastic. Roll out on floured surface to 1/2” thickness. Cut with a 2 12 “ biscuit cutter. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet at 450 for 15 minutes. Cool Garnish by brushing top with egg white and a sprinkling of remaining seeds. Dot with confectioners sugar if desired.

What I like about this recipe is that it is unusual in that the 3 different seeds are not ones that you might think work together. The sweetness of the poppy when paired with the caraway are enough to cause your taste buds to go into a dance step. Then add the small amount of anise and you are off to a tango!

Now for the latest vessel. She is x by x and features a I fell in love with the glaze on this one. It's funny, with glazing, you can plan all you want but you never quite know what to expect until you open the kiln. I used a glaze I had many times before but this time, same kiln cone, same firing and it came out a completely different color. It has to do with oxidation. I have learned to live with and love opening the kiln to surprises. Just like opening a birthday gift.

Close-Up of Face

My tea vessels are each an original. I hand sculpt them using stoneware clay. The Goddess faces are sculpted in the bas-relief method. I used a lead free glaze on each vessel. She who knows... is 9” wide x 5” deep x 6” high and also includes a antique lid. Also featured is an old watch part. I used Textured Brown for the glaze.

If you would like to purchase “She Who Knows Her Own Sacred Sound” tea vessel, she is priced at $89. You can e-mail me and we can go from there. I like to use Paypal or a check.

Back of Vessel

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

  1. What an amazing tea vessel ~ so beautiful, intriguing, peaceful. I love how your father foresaw your creation. And the biscuits sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She Who Knows name, her face, her coloring, and her lid are phenomenal! Like Father, Like Daughter!
    trish, sister WoW

    ReplyDelete

If convenient, please leave a comment. I read every one and thoroughly enjoy hearing your thoughts.