Monday, January 9, 2017

GIGI AND COLOR TO THE RESCUE!

GIGI AND COLOR TO THE RESCUE!

My Daughter, Kirsten and Her New Chalk Painted Cabinet

Being an artist, everyone expects me to have a creative home. I will admit that there are some areas that are definately out of the box as far as my decorating goes but my Great Room leaves much to be desired. I have made a New Year’s revolution (I call my resolutions 'revolutions') to bring Woodloft (my home) to life even further. My great room is the first place I will tackle. It has a ho-hum crate and barrel look to it. Brown leather sofas, brown piano etc etc. Comfy but it does not have that WOW factor that as an artist I am looking for. I decided I need more color!

Dark and Drab Looking Cabinet

I love networking and had the perfect opportunity for that after my daughter, Kirsten, just moved into her new home. She needed a piece of furniture to fit an unusual strange space off of her kitchen. Gigi to the rescue! Gigi and Kirsten have been friends for many years and help one another with decorating ideas. Gigi has been known to carry a saw around with her on needed occasions and is an expert on decorating. She took one look at the space and then glanced over to Kirsten’s dining room and said, “What about that!” She was pointing to a piece of furniture that came with the dining room set her mother-in-law, Jeannie, gave to the family many years ago. Without hesitation, Kirsten and Gigi pulled the hutch to the kitchen and were thrilled that it fit perfectly into the space. Now there was no need to purchase a new piece of furniture. Gigi suggested that Kirsten paint the dated brown piece a modern color to match her kitchen. They chose a beautiful grey tone and used a chalk paint. I couldn’t believe the transformation.

Gigi and The "New" Cabinet

After Picture-Featuring Newly Painted Chalk Cabinet and Another Matching Smaller Piece

Gigi had so many ideas to offer me during a brain storming session the three of us had when I went over to see the new room. I explained how I wanted to shake things up a lot in my great room. Gigi said to start with the rug. I had already in mind to change my beautiful but very dull coffee table rug but Gigi expounded that idea by telling me to get the rug first and then build all the colors around the colors found in the rug. Actually, this step was easier said than done. I found a fabulous rug and then couldn’t make up my mind whether to paint my lovely, but brown, baby grand piano and what color? I changed paint twice and now I’m almost back to the first paint I chose to begin with. It is a matt chalk paint. I keep thinking that I should use a satin finish on piano? So, I went back to my original idea and started pulling out colors of not only the rug but my life size Frida painting. I don’t know what it all will look like but I’ve got everything crossed that it all comes together. If it does,it will be a wild Frida look with a Colonial Mexican/Carribean feel to it. Stay tuned and I'll keep you updated on my progress. Thanks for viewing!

My Frida Painting Situated in an Adjacent Area to Great Room

Part of My 'Crate and Barrel' Dark and Overly Cluttered Great Room

Baby Grand Piano with Band of Tropical Peach Tester Paint

Stumble Upon Toolbar

7 comments:

  1. Ohhh yes much better. How fun to get things looking new and bright. Looking forward to seeing how it all turns out. The best for 2017

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see it when I get back from Florida in April!

    ReplyDelete
  3. trishf 1/9/2017 2:01
    I dont know anything about chalk painting .. you will have to explain that one.. but showing the before & after pics of Kirsten's all i can say is WOW !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to you project. Still growing garlic? Take care!💐

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's wonderful, isn't it, how a little paint and willingness to change can make such lovely Medicine ~ enJOY the journey!

    ReplyDelete

If convenient, please leave a comment. I read every one and thoroughly enjoy hearing your thoughts.